Adrian HorridgeI am a retired professor still working on bee vision and general history of traditional canoes and sailing boats of the Pacific region. Updated 2017-03-20
The latest news is that my right hip is restored, but the reconstruction of the knee still has some way to go with more exercises.
I expect to be in Cambridge for the month of July 2017 in Churchill college.
It has been a mild summer and, for those that know it, the rose garden is doing well. There will probably be a Spring Garden Party about the first week of November, when the roses are in full bloom.
Recent papers on bee vision
- Parallel inputs to memory in bee colour vision (2016). Acta Biologica Hungarica 67, 1-26.
- How bees distinguish patterns by green and blue modulation (2015). Eye and Brain 7, 83-107.
- How bees distinguish colors (2015). Eye and Brain 7, 17-34.
- How bees discriminate a pattern of two colors from its mirror image (2015). PloS ONE 10, 1-23.
- Honeybee: Design of the Visual System - Encyclopedia of Optical and Photonic Engineering (2015, Taylor & Francis)
- How bees distinguish black from white (2014). Eye and Brain 6, 9-17.
- The anti-intuitive visual system of the honey bee (2012). Acta Biologica Hungarica 63 (Suppl. 2), pp. 146–161
People in Neurobiology
Video interview 2012 (ANU School of History project)
- Academy of Sciences Interview 2002
- After-dinner speech on robotics 2004
- Blackawton Bees, a critical comment
- What Does the Honeybee See? (2009) book cover
- Chapter on bee vision from How Animals See the World (2012) Book (ed Lazareva)
- Crab response to sun's movement
- Do science, not paperwork
- Edges and areas in crab vision JEB 1966
- Gatty Marine Lab, St Andrews, History
- Innate visual prefs of bees to flower-like patterns (1995)
- Introduction to Anatomy book Structure and Evolution of Invertebrate Nervous Systems (2016, OUP) ed Schmidt-Rhaesa
- What does an insect see (JEB vol 212, 2009)
- Visual processing of pattern (in Invertebrate Vision (2006) ed Warrant and Nilsson)
- Resolution of insect eye depends on field size of feature detectors (2005)
- Scientific advances; history
- Strausfeld book review Arthropod Brains (2012) Brain Behav Evol 2012:79:290-292
- VOL 47 No.1 ANU Repoter 2016
- Family history
- Horridge extended family ancestry
- Audrey Memoir, obituary. Feb 2013
- Mark Horridge website
Older papers on bee vision
- Anti-intuitive bees. Plenary lecture, Int Soc Invert Neurobiol 2012
- What does an insect see? (2009). Journal of Experimental Biology 212, 2721-2729.
- Generalization in visual recognition by the honeybee (Apis mellifera). A review and explanation (2009). Journal of Insect Physiology. 55, 499-511.
- The preferences of the honeybee (Apis mellifera) for different visual cues during the learning process (2007). Journal of Insect Physiology 53, 877-889.
- Some labels that are recognized on landmarks by the honeybee (Apis mellifera) (2006). Journal of Insect Physiology 52, 1254-1271.
- Visual discrimination of spokes, sectors, and circles by the honeybee (Apis mellifera) (2006). Journal of Insect Physiology 52, 984-1003.
- The spatial resolutions of the apposition compound eye and its neurosensory feature detectors: observation versus theory (2005). J Insect Physiol. 51, 243-266.
- Visual resolution of the orientation cue by the honeybee (Apis mellifera) (2003). J Insect Physiol. 49, 1145-1152
- Visual discrimination of radial cues by the honeybee (Apis mellifera) (2000). Journal of Insect Physiology 46, 629-645.
- Pattern discrimination by the honeybee (Apis mellifera) : training on two pairs of patterns alternately (1999). J. Insect Physiology, 45, 349-355.
- Vision of the honeybee (Apis mellifera) for patterns with one pair of equal orthogonal bars (1997) J. Insect Physiol. 43, 741-748.
- Vision of the honeybee Apis mellifera for patterns with two pairs of equal orthogonal bars (1996). J. Insect Physiol. 42, 131-138.
- Shape vision in bees: innate preference for flower-like patterns (1995). Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B. 347, 123-137 (with Lehrer, Zhang, Gadagkar)
- Perahu Layar Nusantara 2015; Penerbit Ombak ; Jogjakarta; in Bahasa Indonesia
- What does the honeybee see? 2009 ANU ePress. Copies can be downloaded free via ANU ePress
- Natural and low-level seeing systems (joint ed.) Oxford Univ Press 1993.
- Outrigger Canoes of Bali and Madura, Indonesia, Bishop Museum Press. Honolulu, 1987.
- Sailing craft of Indonesia. Oxford in Asia, 1986.
- The Prahu, Traditional Sailing Boat of Indonesia. Oxford in Asia, Kuala Lumpur, 1981, 2nd edition, 1986.
- The Compound Eye of Insects. (Edited) Oxford, 1975.
- Interneurons. Freeman, San Franscisco, 1968.
- (With T H Bullock). The Structure and Function of the Nervous Systems of Invertebrates. 2 Volumes. Freeman, San Francisco, 1965.
Indonesian Canoes and Sailing Boats
- Beginning research
- Early days
- Paper story
- Reminiscences of St Andrew's, Gatty Marine Laboratory / Canberra efforts on the Compound Eye - from Invertebrate Vision (2006) ed Warrant and Nilsson
- Story of early papers
- Ted Bullock's letter 1958